Sunday, November 14, 2010

My "runny" first week

Warning: This segment contains gross subject manner which may not be suitable for all audiences.

SUMMARY: I had the runs for two days straight and blamed it on the chocolate soya drink. Two months after that ordeal, it wasn’t the chocolate soya drink.

Part I – The First Night

I've lived away from home many times; four cadet summer camps between 2003-2007, ranging from 2 weeks to 7 weeks. So being away from home is not something new to me. But cadet summer camps were different because I didn't have to worry about food.

"So what?" I think to myself, "Food, I don't have to worry about it. I can cook and can tell the difference between raw, rotten, and cooked meat. I know I WON’T get sick from my own cooking." (cue foreshadowing).

Oh my first week was rough... or should I say, runny. It was VERY runny. It began like so.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My second night there, I feel very nauseous and have the urge to vomit. I finally force myself to vomit and I could recognize remnants of my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That only meant one thing, for the last 12 hours, my food has not been passing through.

“No worries!” I say to myself. I ask my co-worker to pick-up some ginger-ale and Pepto-Bismal. I consume both and hope for the best.

As I was about to sleep ... then there is rumbling in my intestines. There is no sharp pain (as one would get from food poisoning) but something is not right. Since I already puked, the only option is to sit on the toilet.

“Welcome to Niagara Falls” is the only thing I could think of. I immediately think back of what I ate that day to see if I can determine the culprit.

“Was it the ‘Edo Japan’ teriyaki beef?”
“My roommate had the same thing and he’s okay... maybe this is a one-time thing.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it was NOT a “one-time thing”.


Part II – The Ordeal

Well, it was NOT a “one-time thing”. IT LASTED FOR A TOTAL OF 2 DAYS!!! And I couldn’t just stay at the apartment the next day – I had a mandatory orientation to go!

So.... I bring my Pepto and extra underwear... just in case.

I purposely sit at the table closest to the exit... closest to the washroom. Good thing I did because I literally had to go every 15 minutes. (dang you, Pepto, for failing me). Actually, I had to go every 7 minutes but I held it in so my tablemates wouldn’t raise a suspicion (probably didn’t matter because they probably noticed).

This procession would continue at my Info Tech training the next day. Instead of every 15 minutes, it became every 20-30 minutes. At the end of that day, I was getting worried because the instructions on the Pepto-Bismal said “Consult a physician if it continues longer than two days.” ... and it was coming up close to the 48-hour mark.

Miraculously it subsided after two full days.... then the investigations began...


Part III – The Investigation

After the two-day ordeal, it was time to get to work. It was time to find the culprit. I thought of a list of culprits in my mind:
- Edo Japan teriyaki meat
- “cooked” dinner meat
- Chocolate soya drink
- Fort McMurray water.

My roommate did not get sick, so it ruled out:
- Edo Japan teriyaki meat
- “cooked” dinner meat
- Fort McMurray water

“NO WAY, it couldn’t have been the Chocolate Soya drink from President’s Choice”, but that was the only thing I had that my roommate didn’t; so I tentatively blamed my ordeal on the chocolate soya drink. And down the sink it goes as I poured the rest of it out.

Ten weeks later, My roommate used an aloe vera bottle (which I drank all the aloe vera) as a water bottle and when we went to play badminton, a fellow badminton-friend said every time he drinks aloe vera, he gets “the runs”.

*ding ding ding *

I get back to the apartment and immediately google the following “Aloe Vera laxative properties”. WHAT D’YOU KNOW... it does. Then I suddenly realize, I bought and drank a lot of that Korean aloe vera drink during the two-day ordeal. I drank it with water or ginger-ale to rehydrate myself since I was losing so much water... little did I know that it made it worse.

Have I learned my lesson?
Yes – I have mastered control over Aloe Vera and its laxative properties. So I drink about 1/6th cup of it after dinner... just to keep things running smooth.

All I can say now, Aloe Vera is stronger than Pepto-Bismal.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, I have to say.. this was a very entertaining post. A little bit gross with some of the descriptions.. i.e " Niagara Falls " HAHAHA

    But I'm glad you found out what it was that was causing the runs. Man every 7 minutes.. that's brutal :/

    And Ft. McMurray water? Is there a difference between that and water from Vancouver? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU CALL THAT "GROSS"? Haha just kidding. You sure had a busy first week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I also once had to find out the difficult way, of Aloe Vera's laxative properties. As soon as I saw those words in this entry, I thought, "NOOOOO KEVIN NOOOOOOO!!!!"
    I was at Potter's Place the evening of my discovery actually haha

    Also, don't forget, everybody's stomachs are different. I've spent days with my cousin and her bf, eating the same things. Suffice to say, my stomach is iron compared to theirs.

    ReplyDelete