Monday, November 22, 2010

My pants feel tighter than before (my fight against fat and weight gains)

That's right - oh who would imagine me... the most fit guy in the world with the most perfect level of metabolism... fighting against fat and weight gains. Seriously?? Who would have expected it?! All I have to do is eat, BAM I'm fit.

Before leaving for Fort McMurray, I was expecting to actually LOSE weight because of the additional walking to the grocery store (versus having a car in Vancouver) and of course, not eating my mom's amazing cooked food.

I remembered it so clearly....


It was a Sunday morning. I was getting ready to head to church. As I always do, I get dressed in front of the mirror, checking myself out.

"Oh yeaaa look at that face...Dang, a pimple is coming up!"
"oh weew... that tummy disappeared last night, I can see the abs now - OH YEA"
"I wonder if I wiped clean enough... maybe I should double check"

As I put on my jeans, I knew something was off. It was tighter than usual, less give.

"Maybe the jeans shrunk in the dryer"

Then I stuffed my wallet in my left-cheek pocket

"huh, weird... maybe it'll take some time for the pants to loosen"

And then I stuffed my phone into my right-cheek pocket

"DAMMIT, I'm getting fat"

I looked into the mirror again in disbelief...

"Oh man, that double chin wasn't THAT doubly before..."
"My face is so round now..."
"My eyes are so small...."

And my recent visit to Vancouver during Thanksgiving holidays only confirmed my findings:

"Dang, Kevin, you look ... healthier now, less scrawny"
"Sorry Kevin, but yea, I have to agree with everyone else, you did gain weight... BUT IT'S OKAY, it looks better"
"HHahh son, you gain weight!"

I didn't even need to weigh myself; I noticed, people noticed. I got fatter. And I have the perfect theory as to why...

I) Lack of stress
- As a student, you stress. Whether it is your nervous-stress which most students have... but when you force yourself to study, stay up late, eat junk food, you are subjecting your body to stress. When your body stresses, it burns calories.
- On coop, I work from 8 to 4, that's it. No studying, no homework, no exams to worry about after work. Life is good.

II) Over-eating
- You go grocery shopping, you buy food. You eat food, you realize that you over-estimated the amount of food you actually eat... and nooooo, you can't leave it for the next few days BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT TO EXPIRE. What do you do? You eat it all.

Conclusion: I have returned to my fit stage. I'm controlling my eating... plus I'm playing badminton and volleyball each week and that is enough physical activity to stay fit, stay lean, and most importantly... fit into my jeans such that I can still wear long-johns underneath when it is hits -40 degrees Celsius.

It hit -31 degrees today. I feel so Canadian.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA omg Kev your posts are too entertaining. Dang are those the AE jeans btw?!

    "I wonder if I wiped clean enough... maybe I should double check"

    Seriously LOL.. & Gross.

    It's getting way too cold in Vancouver.. I don't know how it'd be like in Fort McMurray. Probably stay home all day cooped up. And in Toronto, it's 14 degrees. Crazy. I think we need a switch. No stress = The good life :) Glad to know you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paint an avid picture of yourself, Kevin. :P Get a girlfriend. She'll take all your money. Then, you'll have no money to spend on food. Hooray!

    "HHahh son, you gain weight!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, i'm leaving for Vancouver on the 20th! Going to spend the last weekend here with my friends (esp the four months friends :) Ottawa is soooo boring, especially the suburbs! Rebecca Ma is here too! But I haven't met up with her yet, she's been here and Toronto in and out. I'm going to dread winter grocery shopping.... booo.

    ReplyDelete