Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I left the stove element on - Stress ensues

9:12am - I realize that I don't remember turning off the stove element this morning. I really don't. I turned it on at 6:12am. I do remember clearly turning it on to boil some soup, shaking the pan to let the bubbles rise. BUT I DO NOT REMEMBER TURNING IT OFF.
[Stress level: 80% - running on adrenaline, hoping that my roommate turned it off]

9:15am - I go to my roommate's cubicle and ask if he turned it off. He says no.
[Stress level: 100%]

9:20am - I call the landlord to check. She says she'll call me back.
[Stress level: 90%]

9:25am - She calls back and said it was off.
[Stress level: 80%]

9:27am - As much as I want to put this to rest, I don't believe her. Maybe I didn't say my room number clearly and she checked the other apartment building; I DO NOT REMEMBER TURNING IT OFF!
[Stress level: 95%]

9:30am - I keep telling myself that the landlord checked and "it's off". It's off. It's off... okay, it's off
[Stress level: 80%]

9:57am - I really don't remember turning it off. It's so hard to work when you have this in your mind. Even if there is no fire, the smell of a burnt metal pot in the carpet, clothes, bed, couch. Another 7 hours to go until I get back to the apartment.
[Stress level: 70%]

10:04am - Breathing in, breathing out.
[Stress level: 50%]

10:10am - I keep saying these to myself to stay sane:
- In my history of life, I've never left an element on when I leave the house (But there's always a first time)
- The freaking landlord says it's off.
[Stress level: 47%]

10:20am - Searched "I can't remember if I turned off the stove" on Google. One site says it's "so automatic to turn the oven off after cooking that we hardly realize we're doing it." I think back on how automatic actions are prevalent in my daily life. There are a lot of things which I do that I don't even remember; it's like second nature.
[Stress level: 40%]

10:29am - I hear a whole bunch of people talking outside my cubicle and I hear my mentor's laugh. It's a funny laugh.
[Stress level: 32%]

10:33am - I try recalling my memory if I turned it off or not. Stress increase!
[Stress level: 40%]

5:30pm - I get back to apartment. It's off.
[Stress level: 0%]

5:31pm - I realize I have memory problems
[Stress level: 20%]



Line Chart of Stress levels in relation to time:

6 comments:

  1. LOL you need to chill out. Don't stress too much! But I totally know how you feel lol. I've done this with the iron, and my hair straightener. And I had to go back to the house to check... only to find out that I DID turn it off -.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMC, you need to take a chill pill. :P Leave your worries in God's hands, friendo.

    Cares chorus!
    "I cast all my cares upon You
    I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet
    If anytime I don't know what to do
    I will cast all my cares upon You"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh kevie. I can't believe you even googled that haha.

    I agree with Aaron. You should sing those words in those circumstances.

    Looking forward to read more of your crazies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that ALL the time. If I don't know if something is right.. I'm not going to be right until I know for sure it's right.

    ReplyDelete