Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blog writing - Keeping it short and concise

I've challenged myself to finish this post in 10 minutes with no initial topic in mind...

Usually it takes me longer for I take the extra effort to make every word count. "Prose does not need to be longer if it doesn't need to be." That's what I learned in one of my classes in University. It wasn't an English class but a class on Research Methods. I'd say it was the best class I've taken in University. It contained students from various fields and disciplines, ranging from Economics, Biology, Psychology, Linguistics, Chemistry, and Computer Science to name a few. The class focused on finding common themes and ideas present in all disciplines; it really forces you to think outside the box.

Every week, we would critique and evaluate research articles; not on its scientific basis but rather on how it was written. The class quickly noticed a correlation; articles that were well-written and easy-to-read were cited more often than articles that were poorly written and hard to read.

So to practice writing well and concise, we had to write essays that were less than 300 words each week. The aim was to train writers to get their point across in the most clear and concise manner. I did not do well for the first half of my essay-assignments. I had trouble getting my point across in less than 300 words. Also I had the tendency to stuff as much information into a sentence as I could.

That is why I put the extra effort to keep my posts short and concise. I understand readers have the power to view another subject matter whenever they choose. Therefor as a writer, I must write to keep readers to keep on reading.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! No "TL;DR"s coming from me. ;)

    Btw, I enjoyed how you included a picture of yourself with a typewriter.

    ReplyDelete