Sunday, March 27, 2011

What to blog about?

I've come to a point where I really don't have anything to blog about that is pressing. Usually I'd be inspired with an idea and spend awhile thinking and brainstorming, and then finally actually putting thoughts into text.

But after that post on "Does Reality Exist?” I got nothing.

Then questions come up:
Why do I blog?
What am I trying to achieve with my blogging?
Am I some attention-seeking fool?
Do I have a message I want to get out?

I initially started to blog as a means to explore and document my thoughts. Then when I moved to Fort McMurray for co-op, it became a way to share some stories to my friends (actually I just didn't want to tell the same story to multiple people at multiple times). I even had a whole list of stories all planned out to blog about (~20 in total) but I only got through 6 and some others that came on the fly. But I've lost some the burning desire to continue those Ft. Mac Funnies.

And then I began doing some deeper exploration of ideas and the mind with "Digging Deep". These posts are actually closer to my initial posts when I first started. And dabbled among those posts are some song covers I've done.

As you can see, my blog has spanned various topics and doesn't really have a certain topic it pertains to. My belief is that a blog should be focused and directed towards a certain topic. For example, my friend Tessa's blog is focused on her passions; fashion and photography (as those two go hand in hand). Another friend, Mrs. Chong, focuses on her journey with finding chic fashion at thrift stores and her closet. Then there's guitarpraise, a blog with guitar instructional videos on how to play the latest Christian Praise songs.

So I'm at the crossroads of where to take my blog. Maybe I'm in a good place… a blog to share a glimpse of the happenings of my life.

Any suggestions on what I should do??

(No, Mrs. Chong is NOT my mom. She is waaay to young to be my mom.)

7 comments:

  1. Although I may be biased, as my blog is about seemingly random thoughts that come to mind, I believe that varying topics isn't a bad idea. :P I'm not sure if others feel the same way, but I sometimes don't really develop the thoughts that pop into my mind. My thoughts come and go, but if I don't think about them or give them my full attention, I never realize where it is that I let my mind wander.
    It's like not really knowing something unless you are able to teach it to someone, but for your thinking capacity. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also start another blog page for a more specialized topic/theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could do the blog challenge if you're up for it! I can always send you the outline if you're interested. Definitely gives you something refreshing to blog about, and makes you think of these topics, that may have not crossed your mind for a blog post previously before. It also gets you to blog regularly :P

    Aw and thanks for the mention :) I started off my blog definitely gearing more towards the direction of a "fashion/photog" blog. However, this past year.. my blog has gotten a whole lot more personal. I was hesitant at first to post/write about certain topics, as I wasn't sure if I should share some of my inner most thoughts with the rest of the world. But, I have to say I'm glad I did. This past few months, I've shared quite a fair bit in regards to my spiritual walk, and just certain personal issues that cross my mind. Or my struggles. And it is SO encouraging to read comments left from my readers, who say things like they could relate, and that it is encouraging to them to see my growth with my spiritual walk. Also.. with being more open about what I blog about, I've learned to really just say what I want. (Nothing offensive haha) Blog about what interests me, or what crosses my mind. I'll be completely honest and say that when I started blogging years ago, it was more of what would interest people, and what would grab someone's attention. But over the years, my blog has evolved more into .. just what I'm all about. Doesn't have to be specifically fashion, or photography.. but just me. It's essentially an online diary that I can look back on, and see how I've changed, or embrace the memories.. etc.

    I really enjoy reading your posts though Kev! I love that they're random, and never typical. It's definitely a refreshing read. Also I like how your posts don't always consists of just words. Loved the contrast of the pictures from your previous post about how life is like here, and how life is like in India. It's eye-opening. Hey maybe you should try vlogging!!! Video logs. I think you'd be good at it haha. Maybe show us a glimpse of your life in video in Fort McMurray before you get back to Vancouver? Think it'll be pretty fun to watch haha. Anyways, I do hope you keep blogging, cus you're awesome at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi son! Mommy here! LOL...

    Well, while I'd like to say blog about whatever you please, I'm a believer in focused blogs. I say this not because you need to please people with your blogs, but you need to find a niche (mainly so you can always have something you can and like to blog about if you plan to blog for longterm). If you're switching every so often you might get bored cause it becomes like journal writing.(unless you are focusing on deep reflections) Then your blog updates rely on whether you have something to say that day or not. If nothing caught your fancy you wouldn't write. While if you ground your blog in a subject/topic you are passionate about, you'll always have a reason to write.

    Some ideas/tips:

    Teach something/help people - How-to's and tutorial blogs will reap you returning visitors. You get to share your expertise with the rest of the world.

    Photo blogging - A photo based blog is popular amongst photographers and some blogs only tell stories with pictures, no words needed.

    Offer free stuff/sell something - some blogs do giveaways!

    Travel, food, or specialized interest ie: sports/music, etc.

    Do Reviews - Products/experiences, etc.

    Humor - Make us laugh : D

    Or even a day in the life of Kevin... there's a youtube channel where this family called the 'shaytards' basically vlog about their daily life while they're doing their activities.

    I think you're good on camera so maybe do what Tessa suggests? Do vlogs?

    love, mommy
    www.mrschong.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions, Dan and Tess. It's good to hear from you two who are dedicated bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're always welcome. And while you try to figure out what you should blog about, keep blogging. That's a way to help you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lala I'm so late on catching up on everybody's entries (I'm procastinating, I should be working on an essay).

    I didn't have much direction with my blog either. I was basically doing the 40 Day Gratitude Challenge and then bits of thoughts here and there. But the Challenge did get the ball rolling on blogging at least. I mean, my first posts were like, "I still don't know what to talk about."

    I decided to create a new blog after I finished the Challenge though, also hoping to be less scattered. My goal currently is to make it more personal, because I had a tendency to very rarely post something personal and then decide to remove it afterwards =S

    I always find fashion a lovely trend. Something to think about Kevin teehee.

    ReplyDelete